Sarah Amanda "Mandy" Thomas was born 24 Nov 1860 in Rockbridge County, Virginia and died 1 Mar 1939 in Meadow Bluff, Greenbrier County, at the age of 79 of "old age and senile dementia," she is buried at Sewell Valley Baptist Church Cemetery. She married Edward Preston Sanford (1860-1942) on 20 Mar 1886 (see line 4 in 1886) in Greenbrier County. They had 6 known children:
- Hattie, b 24 Apr 1888 in Sewell Valley, Greenbrier County, WV. She died at age 18 (see line 33) of Typhoid Fever on 27 Oct 1906, and is listed in Letha's work as buried at Sewell Valley Baptist Church Cemetery.
- Henry, b 13 Feb 1891 in Sewell Valley, Greenbrier County, WV, d 3 Feb 1969, buried at Sewell Valley Baptist Church Cemetery. He married Anna Rose Hunter 16 June 1926 in Lewisburg, by a Methodist Preacher N.W. Russell, her father (R.A. Hunter) present and giving consent. Her mother is listed as Eliza C Hunter, and Annie's birthdate was recorded as 17 as of Aug 1925). Henry is listed by Letha as having served in WWI, but I have no further details.
- Fonda (Fondie), b 22 Jun 1892 (line 41) in Greenbrier County, WV, d 18 Nov 1973 in FayetteCounty, WV. Letha notes that Fondy had a child before she married, a daughter named Violet Lou, with a man by the name of John Fleshman. Violet is listed as Violet L Loudermilk in the 1920 census with Fonda and her husband Joseph Elmer Loudermilk (married 31 Jul 1918 in Lewisburg), Violet listed as 6 years old in 1920. See Joseph's obit below.
- Preston, b 4 Jun 1896 in Sewell Valley, Greenbrier County, WV, d 12 Jul 1977 in Hyde Park, Westmorleand County, PA. He served in WWI from 23 Sep 1917-13 Mar 1919. He was married to Violet Mae Henry on 6 Jul 1917 (possibly in Pennsylvania), their first child, Lucille, born 4 Jan 1919 in Pennsylvania. By the 1920 census they are living in Meadow Bluff, Greenbrier County, Preston's brother Henry is living with them. They are in Leechburg, Armstrong, Pennsylvania, for the 1930 census with 2 more children, Roy (8) and Edward (6).
- Walker Edward, b Sep 1898 (see line 10) in Sewell Valley, Greenbrier County, WV, d 28 Jul 1971, and is buried in the Sewell Valley Baptist Church Cemetery. Walker married Flora Dell Hanna 16 Oct 1942 in East Rainelle, Greenbrier County, West Virginia. Letha notes 2 children: Lacy and Darrell. Further research using Ancestry.com indicates that Walker married a Clara Agnes Chisolm prior to his marriage to Flora Dell Hanna. Walker and Clara were married 9 Dec 1927 in Lewisburg, her parents listed as S.R. and Tinie (?) Chisolm, Clara was 16 as of 12 April 1927, her father listed as present and giving his consent. In the (April) 1930 census, Walker and Clara have a 3 year old daughter, Rosa L , and a son, Lacy, who was 1 year and 7 months old; residing with them is Clara's father Ruthford Chisolm, widowed.
- Maggie, b 21 Apr 1902 (line 7) in Sewell Valley, Greenbrier County, WV, d 18 Aug 1983 at Beckley Hospital in Raleigh County, WV, buried at Sewell Valley Baptist Church Cemetery. She married McKinley Osborne on 29 May 1918, by Abraham Frantz (we've seen him before!). Children: Hobart, Delvin, Melvin, and Margie.
|Preston Sanford with cousin Willie Thomas|
(Willie's parents were James Franklin and
Minerva Kate Woolwine Thomas). They were
both born June 1896.
|Preston Sanford, WWI|
|OBIT of Walker Sanford|
|OBIT of Joseph Loudermilk, husband of Fonda Sanford.|